MSU offers bike commuters to campus a growing number of resources & benefits in addition to the most obvious, the MSU Bikes Service Center, which is owned/ operated by MSU and open year-round offering full-menu of bike repairs, sales, short and long-term rentals and parts/ accessories for all your transportation biking needs. Additionally, some MSU departments provide bikes and other services to encourage their staff to bike more for a host of reasons; some examples of those services further below or here.
Here’s the list of services open to the MSU community and public (where noted):
- 1-on-1 Bike Commuter Assistance – personal assistance in finding the safest, lowest-stress route to-from campus to your neighborhood. – (Public)
- Secure, covered bike parking in the MSU Bike Garages with DIY repair & air stations – (MSU community only)
- Locker/shower benefit – Thanks to continued support from MSU Bikes, MSU Surplus/ Recycling & MSU Rec Sports we’re happy to continue to accept applications for this awesome benefit for 30 more MSU people for the 2018/2019 school year (May thru April). – (MSU community only)
- MSU Green Transportation map (bike lanes, secure bike garages, DIY bike repair & air stations, e-car charging stations, solar car ports, Capital Multi-modal Station etc.); incl. MSU Bikes’ brochure (Public)
- 24/7 DIY bike repair and air stations – (Public)
- Learn how to maintain your bike at our MSU Brake Room workshop in Dem Hall – it’s free for students, $5 per session for faculty/ staff – (Public)
- CATA’s Emergency Ride Home service for bicyclists – (Public)
- Online comment form for easily reporting concerns – (Public)
- Bike registration – helps in theft recovery, free lock cutting (if you lose your keys), avoiding impoundment – (MSU community only)
MSU Departmental Bike Services:
Other MSU-Related Bike Information
- Learn about bike maintenance, winter riding, other tips during our free classes & workshops – more info.
- General bike commuting information (courtesy MSU Library) – more info.
- Other Green transportation options on campus (courtesy of IPF)
- Campus bicycling news and info. discussion group – more info.
- MSU bicycle related ordinances – more info.
- MSU Bikes’ Facebook page
- MSU Bikes’ Twitter feed
- MSU Worklife’s Commuting Resources
Some helpful off-campus resources:
Regional map showing recommended roads for bike commuting (includes off-road paths that can be good for commuting) – more info.
- Tri-County Bike Association (TCBA) – the largest bike club in the area – more info.
- TCBA Advocacy Committee – works for more bike-friendly region – more info.
- League of Michigan Bicyclists – state-wide bike advocacy organization – more info.
- University region map (courtesy of Mich. Dept. of Transportation) showing bike-friendly facilities, paths, etc. – more info.
- MDOT’s State Bicycling Information – more info.
- Online calculator for Housing + Transportation Costs % Income for E. Lansing