MSU offers bike commuters to campus a growing number of resources & benefits in addition to the most obvious, the MSU Bikes Service Center, which is owned/ operated by MSU and open year-round offering full-menu of bike repairs, sales, short and long-term rentals and parts/ accessories for all your transportation biking needs. Additionally, some MSU departments provide bikes and other services to encourage their staff to bike more for a host of reasons; some examples of those services further below or here.
Here’s the list of services open to the MSU community and public (where noted):
- Secure, covered bike parking in the MSU Bike Garages with DIY repair & air stations – more info.. – (MSU community only)
- 24/7 DIY bike repair and air stations – more info. (Public)
- Locker/shower benefit – Thanks to support from MSU Surplus/ Recycling & MSU Bikes we’re happy to re-open applications for this awesome benefit for 30 more people (as of Aug. 28, 2017). Read here for more details about this facility.
Please complete this form and then do one of the following to confirm that you’re bike commuting:
- Install and run the Ride Report app which runs in the background and helps you track your biking, walking, transit, car trips. It’s a very low battery consuming app. that doesn’t require you to start and stop it like Strava and other apps. If we get enough users running the Ride Report app the developer (a start-up on the West coast) will create an area heat map for us which will give us some great data which can be used to help us plan future improvements to our campus and neighboring streets that users frequently use for their commutes/ errands, etc. If you choose to go this route, please take a screen shot of your summary page and e-mail it to me.
- Post a photo of you with your bike to Facebook and tag with @MSU Bikes Service Center and include a short summary of your bike commuting story (how long your commute is, how often you ride, why you ride, etc.).
- Stop by the MSU Bikes Service Center with your bike and visit with me! Please call or email ahead to make sure I’m in or leave a note for me w/ your name on it if we miss each other.
- Learn how to maintain your bike at our MSU Bike Project workshop in Dem Hall – more info. – (Public)
- CATA’s Emergency Ride Home service for bicyclists – more info.
- MSU Bike facilities online map (bike lanes, Bike Garages, DIY/ air stations, etc.) – more info.– (Public)
- Online comment form for easily reporting concerns – more info. – (Public)
- Bike registration – helps in theft recovery, free lock cutting (if you lose your keys), avoiding impoundment – more info. – (MSU community only)
MSU Departmental Bike Services:
Other MSU-Related Bike Information
- Learn about bike maintenance, winter riding, other tips during our free classes & workshops – more info.
- General bike commuting information (courtesy MSU Library) – more info.
- Other Green transportation options on campus – more info.
- Campus bicycling news and info. discussion group – more info.
- MSU bicycle related ordinances – more info.
- MSU Bikes’ Facebook page
- MSU Bikes’ Twitter feed
Some helpful off-campus resources:
Regional map showing recommended roads for bike commuting (includes off-road paths that can be good for commuting) – more info.
- Tri-County Bike Association (TCBA) – the largest bike club in the area – more info.
- TCBA Advocacy Committee – works for more bike-friendly region – more info.
- League of Michigan Bicyclists – state-wide bike advocacy organization – more info.
- University region map (courtesy of Mich. Dept. of Transportation) showing bike-friendly facilities, paths, etc. – more info.
- MDOT’s State Bicycling Information – more info.