MSU offers bike commuters to campus a growing number of resources & benefits in addition to the most obvious, the MSU Bikes Service Center, which is owned/ operated by MSU and open year-round offering full-menu of bike repairs, sales, short and long-term rentals and parts/ accessories for all your transportation biking needs. Additionally, some MSU departments provide bikes and other services to encourage their staff to bike more for a host of reasons; some examples of those services further below or here.
Here’s the list of services open to the MSU community and public (where noted):
- Secure, covered bike parking in the MSU Bike Garages with DIY repair & air stations – more info.. – (MSU community only)
- 24/7 DIY bike repair and air stations – more info. (Public)
- Locker/shower benefit – Due to the popularity of this program no more free lockers are currently available. Sorry. (10/3/16)
- Learn how to maintain your bike at our MSU Bike Project workshop in Dem Hall – more info. – (Public)
- CATA’s Emergency Ride Home service for bicyclists – more info.
- MSU Bike facilities online map (bike lanes, Bike Garages, DIY/ air stations, etc.) – more info.– (Public)
- Online comment form for easily reporting concerns – more info. – (Public)
- Bike registration – helps in theft recovery, free lock cutting (if you lose your keys), avoiding impoundment – more info. – (MSU community only)
MSU Departmental Bike Services:
Other MSU-Related Bike Information
- Learn about bike maintenance, winter riding, other tips during our free classes & workshops – more info.
- General bike commuting information (courtesy MSU Library) – more info.
- Other Green transportation options on campus – more info.
- Campus bicycling news and info. discussion group – more info.
- MSU bicycle related ordinances – more info.
- MSU Bikes’ Facebook page
- MSU Bikes’ Twitter feed
Some helpful off-campus resources:
Regional map showing recommended roads for bike commuting (includes off-road paths that can be good for commuting) – more info.
- Tri-County Bike Association (TCBA) – the largest bike club in the area – more info.
- TCBA Advocacy Committee – works for more bike-friendly region – more info.
- League of Michigan Bicyclists – state-wide bike advocacy organization – more info.
- University region map (courtesy of Mich. Dept. of Transportation) showing bike-friendly facilities, paths, etc. – more info.
- MDOT’s State Bicycling Information – more info.