MSU offers bike commuters to campus a growing number of resources & benefits in addition to the most obvious, the MSU Bikes Service Center, which is owned/ operated by MSU and open year-round offering full-menu of bike repairs, sales, short and long-term rentals and parts/ accessories for all your transportation biking needs. Additionally, some MSU departments provide bikes and other services to encourage their staff to bike more for a host of reasons; some examples of those services further below or here.
Here’s the list of services open to the MSU community and public (where noted):
- 1-on-1 Bike Commuter Assistance – personal assistance in finding the safest, lowest-stress route to-from campus to your neighborhood. – (Public)
- Secure, covered bike parking in the MSU Bike Garages with DIY repair & air stations – (MSU community only – Currently in transition to MSU Parking (they’re part of MSU Police) – Questions can be sent to them here)
Locker/shower benefit– Discontinued 7/14/20 due to COVID related budgetary constraints. Sorry.
- MSU Green Transportation map (bike lanes, secure bike garages, DIY bike repair & air stations, e-car charging stations, solar car ports, Capital Multi-modal Station etc.); updated spring of 2020. (Public)
- 24/7 DIY bike repair and air stations – (Public)
- Learn how to maintain your bike at our MSU Brake Room workshop in Dem Hall – it’s free for students, $5 per session for faculty/ staff – (Public)
- CATA’s Emergency Ride Home servicefor bicyclists – (Public)
- Capital Area Multimodal Gateway, Operated by CATA (AKA Amtrak’s E. Lansing train station)
- Online comment form for easily reporting road/ path & other infrastructure concerns on campus – (Public)
- Bike registration – helps in theft recovery, free lock cutting (if you lose your keys), avoiding impoundment – (MSU community only)
MSU Departmental Bike Services:
Other MSU-Related Bike Information
- Learn about bike maintenance, winter riding, other tips during our free classes & workshops – more info.
General bike commuting information (courtesy MSU Library) – more info.
- MSU bicycle/ mobility devices related ordinances – more info.
- MSU Bikes’ Facebook page
- MSU Bikes’ Twitter feed
- MSU Worklife’s Commuting Resources
Some helpful off-campus resources:
Regional map showing recommended roads for bike commuting (includes off-road paths that can be good for commuting) – more info.
- Tri-County Bike Association (TCBA) – the largest bike club in the area – more info.
- TCBA Advocacy Committee – works for more bike-friendly region – more info.
- League of Michigan Bicyclists – state-wide bike advocacy organization – more info.
- University region map (courtesy of Mich. Dept. of Transportation) showing bike-friendly facilities, paths, etc. – more info.
- MDOT’s State Bicycling Information – more info.
- Online calculator for Housing + Transportation Costs % Income for E. Lansing